St. Patrick Cemetery was established in the late-nineteenth century when the O’Connells, Irish immigrants to the Kent Valley, set aside four acres of their homestead as a burial ground for the Irish Catholics who immigrated to the valley. They named the cemetery St. Patrick Cemetery in honor of the patron saint of Ireland. The cemetery was transferred to the Diocese of Nesqually (now the Archdiocese of Seattle) in 1902 and was the parish cemetery for nearby St. Anthony parish (now Holy Spirit parish).
in July 1989 Associated Catholic Cemeteries assumed responsibility to St. Patrick Cemetery. The staff of Gethsemane Cemetery in Federal Way provides maintenance and oversees operations and records.
Recent enhancements to the cemetery include a statue of St. Patrick, a feature to Our Lady of Guadalupe (including had soil from Mexico placed when it was blessed) and an asphalt roadway. St. Patrick offers scenic views of the Kent Valley and Mt. Rainier in a quaint and rustic setting. St. Patrick offers a wide variety of burial choices – both traditional burial and the placement of cremated remains of the body – with a backdrop of pastoral and rustic beauty that appeals to many.
St. Patrick Catholic Cemetery is a sacred space, a place of prayer and quiet reflection that invites us to remember all those “who have gone now before us marked with the sign of faith.”